- Get Firefighter Certification from the Florida State Fire College. Getting this training in Florida is a requirement unless you challenge the state test.
- Get an EMT-B or Paramedic Certification from the Florida Bureau of EMS. This can take anywhere from 1 to 2 years to earn the certification.
- Complete the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT). Make sure you prepare yourself months before the test to earn the highest score possible.
- Submit an application of employment through the City of Orlando. The city only accepts application for open posted positions. You can be notified of future firefighter positions by completing an Interest Card.
- Pass a background investigation that includes a polygraph exam. Remember this step, because notes can be taken during your interviews and compared with answers from you polygraph.
- Pass a medical exam and drug screening test.
- Contact the City of Orlando Civil Service at (407) 246-2215 for general firefighter recruitment questions.
- Out-of-state certifications, national certifications, and reciprocity are not accepted by the City of Orlando