Things You'll Need:
- Be between 19 and 32 years of age.
- Be a resident of Boston for 1 year before the test.
- Fill out an application from the Massachusetts Civil Service website, link provided. For additional information contact the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Human Resources Division.
- Successfully complete a written Firefighter test. The written test a general firefighter test.
- Pass the Physical Ability Test by preparing well before you submit your application. The test that the Boston Fire Department uses is from the state level. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Human Resources Department has put together a very helpful preparation guide for the test. The link is at the bottom of this page.
- Pass a background screening and character investigation. Be truthful when filling any background forms. It is better to explain a past problem instead of them bringing it to you.
- Submit to a medical exam and meet the required fitness level. Any vaccines offered by the department should be taken.
- Ensure you have a valid driver’s license issued by Massachusetts is required.
- Start your new career!
- Veteran and Active Duty Military applicants can add up to 4 years to the maximum 32 years old age limit for time served