- Valid Drivers License
- High school diploma or GED
- Proof of residency in the City of Chicago (At time of employment)
- Submit an application with the City of Chicago Department of Human Resources online at www.cityofchicago.org/humanresources. Only apply during an open hiring periods. Submitting an application requires a nonrefundable payment of $20.
- Take a Civil Service exam. Dates and times are randomly assigned. No reschedules will be permitted for anyone under any circumstances. A study guide will be given out after you submit a completed application.
- Applicants that pass the exam will require a background investigation, medical examination, drug screen, and a Physical abilities test. The Chicago Fire Department provides information on the Physical Abilities Test. A series of Physical Abilities Test Preparation videos are available on YouTube. These were uploaded and created by the Chicago Fire Department.
- Earn your spot on the eligible list.