Difficulty: Moderately Challenging
Things You'll Need:
- Birth Certificate
- Driver's License
- High School Diploma or GED
- 18 years old
- Apply in person at the Civil Service application desk located at 1300 Perdido Street in Room 7W03. Please remember, application are only accepted during open recruitment periods.
- Submit to a background check. This usually is conducted by the police department or another agency.
- All applicants must successfully complete a written exam.
- The department requires a physical agility test. Train for this step in the hiring process by getting into great physical condition. There are many books and web sites that offer great training tips to make sure you can pass the test safely, in the required time.
- Pass a medical exam and drug screening. This is an important step in the process.
Tips & Warnings
- Fire Recruits attend a training academy that is 16 weeks long and is completely paid by the city.
- Once a recruit completes the academy they serve one year as a probationary firefighter.
- You must have a certified copy of your Birth Certificate, a valid driver's license, and an original copy of your high school diploma or GED.
- New Orleans Fire Department