The Grand Rapids Fire Department is located on the Southwestern side of Michigan. The Department has Firefighters that work on a 24 hour schedule in 11 different firehouse throughout the city. All Firefighters hired by Grand Rapids Fire Department are required to go through the Fire Academy for 16 weeks training.
Difficulty: Moderately Challenging
Things You'll Need:
- 18 Years or older
- High School diploma or a GED
- Correctable vision to 20/20
- Submit an application for employment through the City of Grand Rapids for the position of Firefighter. The city only accepts applications when there are vacancies to fill.
- Next is the civil service test. You must receive a qualifying score to continue in the hiring process.
- The physical agility test is a timed test of job related tasks that must be completed in 10 minutes. Rescreach the Firefighter Candidate Physical Ability Test or CPAT to prepare yourself for this test.
- Applicants who pass both previous tests will advance to the oral interview.
- A complete background check is completed after the interviewing process.
- A physical entrance exam which is medical in nature is the last step before an offer of employment is given.
- Grand Rapids Fire Department FAQ
- How to Pass the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT)